Friday, February 22, 2008

Make Your Unique Selling Proposition Clear

I watched the democrat debate last night because politics is my hobby. Yeah I know, I should take up golf. Clinton and Obama are two peas in a pod when it comes to their solutions to problems. When Obama explained his position on illiegal immigration, Clinton said, "I agree with Senator Obama." When Clinton explained her ideas for leaving Iraq, Obama said, "I agree with Senator Clinton." Writing for Slate, John Dickerson said, "For the first 45 minutes of the debate, the two were so close on the issues they could have been running mates."

At the end of the debate a focus group of democrats admitted that they like both candidates. Therefore, it is coming down to personality and Obama is the most lovely of the two so he is going to win.

If your customers have to try to figure out if they want to buy from you or from someone else, you are not making your unique selling proposition clear. As small business owners we have to stand out in the crowd so brightly that it is almost as if we have no competition in our category.

David Milly has figured out how to be the go-to guy for hundreds of customers.