Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Be Happy That We are Great at Job Creation

I happen to be a news junkie because politics for me is like a sport which makes news my sports channel. Sadly so many journalists are sad so they seem to consistently write about the demise of America as we have known it in my lifetime.

David Brooks, the token conservative at the New York Times, writes encouraging words today. He points out that, "The U.S. standard of living first surpassed the rest of the world’s in about 1740, and despite dozens of cycles of declinist foreboding, the country has resolutely refused to decay." David does not provide his source when he said that we lose about 7 million jobs a quarter and create slightly more than 7 million in the same time frame. I will assume that he is correct and we all know that this job creation is what keeps us ahead. It keeps us growing and makes prosperity possible for anyone who has some basic education and who is willing to work hard.

At Small Business School our business is to study and champion the job creators and one of my favorites is Steve Hoffman at Modern Postcard.