Saturday, December 22, 2007

Giving Really is Better Than Receiving

Frank Jao reminded me that what my Mom used to say is true, it just takes years for Mom's advice to sink in. When my Mom would tell us that giving is better than receiving I know that as a little kid I had no idea what she was talking about because I like to get presents.

When we taped Frank's story for our show I met a man who is very wealthy today. He is rich with property, cash, a beautiful wife who is his valued partner in business, darling daughters, happy customers, loyal employees and too many friends to count.

How did he become so rich? He would tell you that his goal was set in childhood. He grew up very poor in Saigon. Once a year an uncle who seemed rich to Frank would visit and would bring food and gifts to Frank's hungry family. Frank decided around the age of eight that he wanted to become like his uncle, the giver, rather than like his father who had to be on the receiving end.

So set a goal to be the giver and the work that you do towards that goal will enrich everyone around you, including yourself.